Thursday, March 28, 2013

Project 52 - Catch Up Weeks 11-13/52

This is my last post to catch up from being in Kentucky for my grandmother's funeral. I am combining 3 weeks into one. I would love to know which photo(s) is your favorite. Enjoy!

Week 11/52 - Wallace Falls Hike, March 9th, 2013
I was lucky enough to go on a hike with my mom, brother, my brother's girlfriend and my dog niece Cece. I have been trying to do more hiking lately as I enjoy being in nature and it provides amazing opportunities to hone my photography skills. On this particular outing I was able to practice taking photos of waterfalls. I read a tutorial about it before heading out about slow shutter speeds and making sure the whole waterfall is in shade. I didn't know how important this would be until I looked at the photos I took. We hiked from Small Falls to Lower Falls and to Middle Falls. I didn't make it all the way to Upper Falls, but I was proud of the 4 miles I did. I am only sharing photos of Small Falls though because the other shots were a combination of sun and shade and they just didn't work out. It is just a reminder of the power of lighting. The first waterfall shot is on the way in, at the beginning of the hike and the last is from the way out. I was fascinated by how much the light changed!

Settings: ISO 100, 50mm, ss0/8secs, f/16 (on tripod)

Settings: ISO 250, 50mm, ss1/200, f/22

Settings: ISO 250, 50mm, ss1/5secs, f/16 (on tripod)

Week 12/52 - Kentucky Trip
I mentioned that I had to go to Kentucky for my grandmother's funeral. It was a difficult trip, but there were some enjoyable moments. One of them was visiting Devou Park with the fam to see where my mom spent time as a kid. I love the Cincinnati, Ohio skyline in this shot, but without my tripod and the wind it was very difficult to get. Luckily there was a trash can to use even if it involved me plugging my nose :o). The second shot is a rose from the service for my grandmother. I miss you Grandma!

Settings: ISO 2500, 50mm, ss3.2secs, f/22

Settings: ISO 2000, 100mm, ss1/1000, f/6.3


Week 13/52 - Spencer's Island
In effort to get back to my normal routine I went out to Spencer's Island in Everett, WA. The island sits on a slough and has amazing views of the mountains. After about 10 pictures I realized my battery was dead and the extra one was in my other bag at home from the trip. Even though that cut the shoot short I was able to capture a little bit of this beautiful place in the middle of the city.

Settings: ISO 500, 100mm, ss1/1250, f/5.6

Settings: ISO 2000, 100mm, ss1/2000, f/16
"The muffled syllables that Nature speaks | Fill us with deeper longing for her word; She hides a meaning that the spirit seeks, She makes a sweeter music than is heard." - George Santayana

   the long road  Weekly Top Shot     Ni Hao Yall 

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. I always appreciate that you include your camera settings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful shots! Love the water and rose :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shots, great captures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a great eye for lighting and lines! Great shots!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite is the first one -- the waterfall. Beautiful! I'm impressed that you hike with a tripod!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All such wonderful shots. Love the cityscape and wetlands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photography. My favorite is the stream. Love it! Krista @ http://ahandfulofeverything.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your thoughts! I love reading your comments and critiques.